Top 10 Dog Training Tips
Whether you have a new puppy, a rescue dog or you have had your dog for years, training should be an important part of every day life. Dogs greatly value companionship, learning, bonding, physical and mental exercise and having a job to do! You will also reap the rewards from putting in some effort to train your dog -everyone wants a well behaved, happy dog they can take anywhere don't they?
That being said, it is not easy! Here are our top tips:
- Use high value treats/toys that your dog values.
- Keep sessions short and end with a fun game.
- Do not lose patience. If you or your dog are getting frustrated or confused, stop and play a game then come back to it later.
- Train in a calm place with minimal distractions (at least initially!).
- Try not to repeat the command or talk too much to your dog.
- Do not forget to praise your dog and be generous with your affection.
- Decide on the ‘house rules’ ensure the whole family are consistent in enforcing these to the dog in the right way.
- Have realistic expectations – changing behaviour takes time.
- Don’t underestimate the benefits of feeding a high quality food.
- Above all, make the sessions fun for both of you!